Koscielny, Mustafi, Cech, Xhaka and Alexis (for me) were the reasons we lost this match against a United side there for the slaughters ! On a night where all Field Marshals would want their trusted generals to be 100% committed to the cause, Arsene was badly let down by his senior players.
While some of the senior players underperformed, a handful of Arsene’s troops were sweating blood on the cold night; Özil, Lacazette and Ramsey(sadly). The others that put in very good shifts were Kolasinac, Monreal and Iwobi (when he came on).
The rest of the players all have serious questions to answer;
1. you can never justify giving the ball away when your whole ‘team is on the move,
2. You don’t let your man get into the wrong side of you (for the third goal)
1. You dont give the ball away even sloppier than your defence partner, especially when Monreal is well positioned to receive the ball from you and you have over 3 more options, including putting it out of play.
You don’t repeatedly lose your man inside the box, as he’s done this season time and time again, with most resulting in match damaging goals.
1. You don’t play for your own stats in a club as big and as technical as Arsenal.
2. He loses the ball a whopping 34 times during the match (the highest of any player on the pitch)
3. He leaves the simple things required of a left sided forward in any team, and keep trying the ridiculous which almost never bears any fruit.
3. He disjoints the game plan of the team when Olivier is on, by (most times) nicking off passes intended for another team mate that was meant to go wide in order to stretch the Man United’s defence so that our tall striker(Giroud), our diminutive striker(Lacazette) and our running striker (welbeck) would pounce on the resulting deliveries, however way they come into the box.
In all, I was disappointed with these players, but laud the positivity and never-say-die attitude starting to take root in this team.
In a night where the level of officiating was unsurprisingly poor, we let 3 points slip through our fingers. Only the manner in which it was lost remained the sole source of consolation. Let’s build on it and hopefully, yesterday was one of those days where things didn’t go our way.
#ArsMun #liveandfightagain #neversaydie #coyg